November 21, 2011

Ramblings*

Operation Nursery is in full swing. My mom, who is amazing and completely excited about her first grandchild making an appearance next year, purchased our crib for us last weekend. It was the first piece of furniture for the nursery that we had taken care of, so we were excited when we got the call that it had arrived. It's gorgeous, and looks great put together.

We've also been on the search for a good dresser. I have been told by many, many people in my life that a changing table is a waste of money [I believe it] so our idea was to find a sturdy dresser [one that will last past the infant years!], re-purpose it & make it fit into what we are wanting it for. And then we'll slap a changing pad on top of it. The likelihood of me or M running into the nursery to change each and every diaper is slim, so we are trying to be as practical as we can. I've also started working on some of the wall decorations & in search for some great fabric for crib sheets and curtains. I foresee this coming Thanksgiving weekend as being one large craft fest ... of course, after all the Christmas decorations are up!

We also had our 24 week checkup appointment this past week. Everything measures right where it should be and that little heartbeat was perfect. We started discussing my birthing plan, which was scary in it's own right. I know I'm only 24 weeks, but it's amazing that I have to actually start thinking about all of this already. There are so many details that are so important to me & I can only hope that if my midwife is not on call, that the doctor that is respects my wishes & my husband can remember the things that I want in case I'm too out of it or loopy to communicate properly!  I'm constantly amazed that I've made it this far in my pregnancy, and cannot believe how utterly quick it is flying by. We say thank you every day to what we have, and are enjoying these last couple of months that we have together before we welcome our new addition. Life is truly good in the Boho household.

But it's not all work & no play for us! The ninja got another taste at some good music this past weekend when we headed North a bit for the Taylor Swift concert. I will admit that T-Swizzle is a serious, serious guilty pleasure of mine. I saw her open up for another country band a few years back and I was hooked. Last year's headlining performance was about as entertaining as it gets [and as a serious music junkie, I have been to a LOT of concerts!] so when tickets when on sale back in April, I jumped on the chance with some other girlfriends. Lauren was one of them, and since her camera took better pictures than mine, you can check out her photos on her blog. But we had a blast, and it was a much needed girls night out. Getting home at 1am and having to be up at 6 am for work the next day was rough, but completely worth it. I know that I personally sang every word to all 19 songs that were performed and I'm telling you ... the girl is a top notch performer through and through! Minus the screaming 8 year old's that took up a majority of the 14,000 people in attendance, it was a great night.

I am very much looking forward to Thanksgiving as we have some of our nearest and dearest friends over for the big day, followed by a nice long and hopefully relaxing weekend. We're doing turkey day pot-luck style this year, which will make things nice and easy for me, as I only have to prepare a couple of items. And hopefully we won't have a ridiculous amount of leftovers! I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday with friends & family! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone, and I mean everyone, told me a changing table was a waste of space and money. But we used the crap out of ours. I loved the storage underneath it. I love having a place to change A, and not having to do it on the floor or something like that. And I also liked, going to another room to clean her up, instead of in the main living space. But thats just me, and maybe a bit of my OCD about dirty floors, or chaining dirty diapers on my furniture lol. Or maybe its just me being a rebel to all the naysayers, and proving them wrong :-)

Heather said...

I'm glad things are taking shape and baby is looking well.
We already have a built in desk which I think we will use as a changing table.
Enjoy your weekend!

S said...

Yay for putting the nursery together! That's so exciting. I will say that we, too, used the hell out of our changing table. We had one downstairs and one upstairs in her room...it was a lot easier to throw her up there and change her than anywhere else. I'm sure you'll figure out what's right for you, but I just wanted to share our experience.

Anonymous said...

Sooo.... in terms of your birthing stuffs. I'm assuming you're at the hospital on post? It's generally pretty common that the midwives aren't on call or at the hospital when you begin labor, and even MORE likely that one of the residents in the hospital will be on Labor and Delivery call when you do. I say this not to freak you out, but to give you a heads up. My husband is one such resident, and every baby he's delivered was another doctor's, or midwife's patient- never one of his own. HOWEVER, this isn't to say that she won't be when YOU go into labor. It's not an impossibility. I would definitely write the birthing plan down (which you probably already have, so, this is really an unnecessary suggestion) and make sure it's packed with your hospital stuff so your husb can reference it and pass it along to the doctors/nurses when you're there. If you want any more details, or have any more questions about the doctors you might get, or what their process is, feel free to email me, or ask me when I finally meet you in person!