November 9, 2011

Pregnancy & Military Life

This past Friday marked 23 weeks of pregnancy. Holy crap! I can't believe how quick time is flying by. And comparing this photo to the one two weeks ago, Baby Boho is definitely making it's appearance more and more. 

I am still, for the most part, feeling ok. Aside from the normal aches & pains that have become a part of my every day life, I feel alright. The baby is moving a LOT these days, and I have started to feel some random kicks & pokes higher up in my abdomen. I'm hoping it means that my placenta is doing what it's supposed to be doing & moving upwards, something we'll find out in four weeks for my repeat ultrasound. But the feeling of movement is just something that I am not sure I will ever get used to! It's such a wonderful yet strange feeling & I am blessed every single day for what we have.

I am getting to the point where I feel like I am not prepared for what's about to happen in four months. I'm hoping this is normal, but I've suddenly felt the need to read more [as much as I possibly can!] and read often, do more research & be as prepared as I possibly can. We are so excited for the next four months but the thought of actually giving birth is sinking in & it's sort of freaky. In an absolutely good way, of course! I'm not hitting the panic button just yet, but I feel it coming. And I want to avoid it at all costs.

We also have some big changes coming for us shortly after baby is born. My husband has been in the military for nine years. He loves what he does (satellites, networks, totally techy stuff that is way over my head) but as he's moved up the ranks, he's further removed from the hands on experience. He currently has a couple of years left on his contract, and the discussion has come up as to whether or not he wants to stay in, or get out, multiple times. While we still have some time to make that decision, the direction of his career needs to be figured out long before then. Does he stay Enlisted? Does he go Officer? What does he do?

What it has come down to is that he loves the hands on stuff, but staying Enlisted means that again, as he moves up the ranks, his job becomes less techy and more "sit behind a desk and do paperwork." Which bores him. We discussed the idea of him becoming an Officer, but the same reason for not doing that was there. He would lose what he loved most about his job. The rational solution was for him to become a Warrant Officer, and become specialized in his field. This would allow him the opportunity to do what he loves doing, every single day. And if he is going to take the time to go to school & to make this change, he absolutely would stay in for 20+ years.

I fully support my husbands career and will do what it takes to make sure he accomplishes that. With that said, it means that shortly after the birth of Baby Boho, my husband will be taking off for ten months or more for training: one month at Fort Rucker for a fast-tracked Officer school & nine months down at Fort Gordon for Warrant Officer school in his field. Lucky for us, Gordon is only three hours away, which means he will be home on weekends. But it also means that five days a week, I'll be doing the mom thing solo. It's terrifying to think about, which is only adding to my stress of all of this. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Thousands of other military wives have done this before me, and I have an amazing support system here that will help out in any way they can! It just means a crash course in being a mom.

I will still be working, which will make things a little more challenging what with day care drop off & what not, but again ... it can be done! And luckily, I will have the husband home on weekends which will help. I know this. I am sure there will be plenty of entertaining gaffes along the way. All of which I will share, of course.

23 weeks down, 17 to go. Eeek!

4 comments:

Julie Danielle said...

I am so excited for you! I know you will be a great mom :) And you do have a great support system. A lot of us have been where you will be going.

Lauren said...

If you need any help while M is gone, or even when he's not, you know I'm available to help out in any way! :) Hooray for 23 weeks!

Megan said...

WOCS is the way to go! My husband is actually turning in his packet for the January board. :) Let me know if you have any questions. I'm sure the process will be a little different for your DH but I will help if I can!

Heather said...

I know you will figure it all out. By the way you look gorgeous in that photo.