December 6, 2011

Feta-Avocado Turkey Burger*

I am a big lover of all things turkey. ESPECIALLY a well made turkey burger. We eat them naked at our house [no bun ... get your mind out of the gutter!] but made this way, with a pita & some veggies, also sounds like a glorious alternative. The leftovers are always great crumbled up on a salad the next day. Not to mention that they are much healthier for you than a normal burger. The husband loves them, & so do I, so they are a regular staple in our meals.

I found this recipe and will be making these bad boys for dinner this week. I have no doubt in my mind that they will be tasty. I regularly use a little cheese in my turkey burgers [so not a big jump, plus feta ... nom.] & who doesn't love avocado?? I foresee these being a new alternative to the normal way I make them.


Feta-Avocado Turkey Burger Pitas

For the turkey burgers:

1 lb ground turkey burger
1 avocado, diced
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 tsp garlic salt
3 tbs bread crumbs
3 tbs diced green onion
salt and pepper

Served with: 
1 pkg whole wheat pitas 
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 head of lettuce, separated

Spicy Mayo
1/3 cup light Mayo
1-2 tsp cumin (depending on how strong you like it)

1. In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients together, mixing with your hands until evenly incorporated.  Shape into 6 patties.  Season both sides with salt and pepper. 

2. Lightly brush each side of the patties with extra virgin olive oil.  Place patties on the grill (high heat), cooking about 6 minutes each side until cooked through.  

3.  Spread some of the spicy mayo in each pita pocket and place a turkey burger in each.  Garnish with lettuce and tomatoes.  

No comments: