December 17, 2011

Military Ball 2011*

Every once in a while, the Army throws a mandatory function our way. Typically, they are boring and lame and, well ... boring and lame.

Military Balls pretty much fall into that category as well, although there are definitely some upsides to them. Getting dressed up is one. Spending time with good friends is another. Seeing my incredibly cute husband in his fancy dress military uniform? Probably the best one of all.

For the most part, they are pretty boring. The format has been exactly the same for all three that we have been to. But we sat a table with some very fun people, some good friends of ours from the company. There was a ton of laughing! I love having the opportunity to hang out with other military spouses. Finding other spouses that I have things in common with can be difficult from time to time. So when they pop up, I latch on. Not in a weird crazy stalkerish kind of way, but in a "you're awesome. let's hang out sometime" kind of way.

After the formalities were over and everyone was released for dancing, the husband and I bolted for home. Lucky for me, I had a dress from a previous ball that worked for this occasion. But barely. To get into it required some magic, and I spent the good part of the evening not being able to breath. You can thank the pregnancy boobs for that. Plus ... heels. Ugh. A quick bathroom break turned into us being stopped from going back to our seats due to the guest speaker, which meant 20 minutes standing in the lobby in heels that weren't really meant to be stood in for that long. So when they told us we were free, it was home we went.

But all in all, it was a great night. We had fun, and while they are mandatory, they aren't all bad. Plus, again ... that dang uniform gets me every time!

1 comment:

Amber said...

Aw! I'm glad you ended up having fun despite the evil heels! You guys look fantastic - and so happy. :D