December 28, 2011

New Years Resolutions*

I have a blog post in the works about Christmas, complete with photos, but I haven't finished it yet. I will likely do that tonight, but while this was on my mind, I wanted to get it written down.

With the new year just around the corner, I've been thinking a lot of about the goals that I have in mind for 2012. 2010 closed on such a shitty note, and my life was consumed with thoughts of baby & my impending 30th birthday. I had big dreams for 2011, and our biggest one came true.

But now it's time to move forward with that. Do some other things that i want to accomplish. And I'm hoping that 2012 allows me to get my ass in gear and get these things done. So here is my New Year's Resolution list!

1. Run a Half Marathon
I am actually really looking forward to this one. In January, I am signing up for the Rock N Roll Half Marathon that will take place in November of next year. Even though that is still about a year away, I won't be able to start any training until about May, due to obvious reasons. I was never the greatest runner in the first place & frankly, kind of sucked at it. But with almost a year off at that point, I'll be starting from scratch. This gives me six good months to get in shape and prepare for the race. I CAN DO THIS. And I will!

2. Reach My Goal Weight
Pre-Pregnancy, this goal involved losing about 60 to 70 pounds. It will be slightly higher than this post-pregnancy. But I have this really great pair of jeans from my grad school days that I have hung onto, and I am determined to fit into them by the end of the year. I gave myself this goal before I reached my 30th bday, and it never happened. Not even close. But next year is the year. Training for a half marathon will most definitely help. But more than anything, I miss being healthy. And skinny.

3. Do More Artistic Things
I love art. Always have. Always will. But my creative juices have not been flowing very well in recent years. The photography thing has been great, but I've always been with clients. I need to do more photography for fun. For me. As well as pick up my endless supply of other supplies -- pencils, chalk, pastels, etc. -- and get my ideas down on paper.

4. Get My Photography Website Up & Running
I used to have one. But then I changed my business name. I have yet to get another one back up. I have the trusty old facebook site, but having a website with a blog would be much better for me. Especially if we ever PCS out of here. Having a site to start throwing out would be incredibly beneficial for me.

5. Read One New Book A Month
I love to read, but have a habit of going back to old favorites and re-reading those. I need to definitely branch out and read some more books. The Barnes & Noble gift card I received for Christmas will be a good starting place!

6. Learn To Sew
Seriously. I've been talking about this forever. I need to just suck it up and do it already.

I may add to this list later, but I'm really hoping to focus on these things. They are all things I've wanted to do for some time, and hopefully I can accomplish them. Especially the weight. I suck as resolutions, and I'm sure this time next year I'll look back at these and think "I could have done better." But I want to avoid that. When I do start working out again, I hope to document it all here to keep me in check.

Do you have any new year's resolutions?

2 comments:

Heather said...

Those sound like some really good resolutions. Good luck with the half marathon and weight loss! I wouldn't even contemplate that kind of stuff I am so unfit.
I just want to have a healthy pregnancy.
I would also like to figure out a way to make money from home. SO good luck with your photography site :) I hope it is super successful.

DanL' said...

Your list looks a lot like mine..minus the artsy photog stuff! I've had a sewing machine for 10 years and still have not done anything other than get it out for my mom or sister to do something on when they visit. Weight and Running, heck yeah!