March 12, 2013

What's Next?

With an impending move on the horizon. it's safe to say that I have sort of started to freak out.

One of the things that is worrisome to me is my job. My current position isn't, by any stretch of the imagination, a dream job of sorts. Honestly, it's the farthest thing from it. But it's money in my pocket, so I will take it. Augusta is sort of a smaller town. Not TINY, but not exactly a large metropolitan area. The job market matches that. The job hunt in our new location has officially begun and I am sad to say, it doesn't look very promising.

One of my issues in my job search is that I don't really know what I want to do. I mean, I DO. I have an education. A masters degree. A "career field" that I am comfortable with and enjoy for the most part. But when I sit down and think about what I want to do, I come up empty.

I know I want a little bit of financial freedom. I like our lifestyle, and while it's not LAVISH by any means, we don't have to pinch pennies thankfully. I don't want to give that up anytime soon. Also, I enjoy working. Yes, being a working mom is tough & has it's challenges, but I still enjoy it. At least, I enjoy it when I am feeling fulfilled creatively & challenged in my day to day duties. But this impending move has me wondering -- what exactly DO I want to do?

As a direct sales consultant for Jamberry, I have started to see things pick up with my business, to the point that within the coming months, there is a very good chance that doing direct sales (hahahaha! Something I never thought I would be doing) will essentially replace my current income. Jamberry has become so easy & with a product that essentially sells itself, it has required very little effort on my part to be successful. Is it a silly concept? Sure! I LOVE the product, but I am making money off of designer nail wraps! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?? It's not something I want to do forever, but for now, it seems to be working. So why not?

But what next? I have always wanted to start my own business, which would allow me to focus on the aspects of public relations that I TRULY love. I have also considered, many times over, to launch into photography full time because I also love what I do when I get to do it. Taking both of those plunges before has been scary. Giving up a guaranteed income to try and do something that might not succeed is extremely terrifying on many, many levels. But with money coming in from the Jamberry thing, the idea of doing BOTH of these things doesn't seem so far off.

I'm still applying for jobs down in Augusta, because working in an office setting is comfortable. It's what I know. Again, that reliance of income is a little less terrifying than branching out on my own. But maybe it's time. Maybe this is the sign that I need to do what I want to do. I have a lot of research to in the coming months, before we take off for this new adventure. Or maybe I don't. Maybe I just DO IT. Throw caution to the wind. Build my websites. Put it out there.

See what happens.

Cue total terror. I just don't know. I know that my fear is deciding this for me. I know my fear of the unknown is keeping me from something that could potentially be very rewarding. I like comfortable. I like planned. I like KNOWING where my next paycheck is going to come from. But the places I am getting my paychecks aren't always the most rewarding. I sort of want both. So I don't know. I have a lot -- a LOT -- of thinking to do.

This could be the greatest, or worst decision I have ever made!

1 comment:

Cortney @ Box & Bay said...

Here's my 2 cents. GO FOR IT. I mean, sure, keep applying for jobs as a back up plan... but get those site going. Start. Then see where it goes. This is a super opportunity for a bit of a career do-over and if Jamberry is a way to help you give the photography or other projects a start, then I say Carpe that f'ing Diem. Seize the day lady! :)