September 21, 2012

Autumn Has Arrived!*


I'm happy to report that Fall has finally landed upon us here in North Carolina. While the weather is still tipping into the 80's during the day, the nights have progressively become cooler & cooler. It's been glorious. I hate the heat. The extreme heat, at least, which is anything I consider above 80 degrees.

I'm from Seattle. A born and raised Pacific Northwesterner. Which means that when it hits 70 degrees, we busted out the shorts & t-shirts and basked in whatever sunshine we were lucky enough to get. That's just the way it was. Living in North Carolina, though, I've become slightly more acclimated to the warmer [blistering hot] temperatures of the summers. I don't like them one bit, but I've adjusted. Of course, I still complain about the heat. And the humidity. And pretty much everything about North Carolina in general [a post for another day!] but this cooler weather we are getting is making me happy.

I love opening the doors in the morning to let the dogs out and feeling that chill that comes from the cool morning breeze. It's nice to feel like I need a sweater when walking out to my car in the mornings. It doesn't last long, but I am looking forward to the days when the chill doesn't go away by mid-afternoons. I love sweaters. I love boots. I love jeans. I love warm, comforting food that fills the belly & warms the house. And I love football. Which, doesn't really seem relevant, but it's just not football Sunday in shorts and flip flops.

Now that the cooler weather is here, we are looking forward to getting out and doing more things as a family. Typically neither M or I have had a problem braving the heat for a little fun, but toting along a new baby isn't very feasible [or responsible] when it's 90 degrees outside. We have a trip planned to the Carolina Tiger Rescue sanctuary in a couple of weeks, and I am hoping that we can go hike our favorite trail without the fear of nasty summer bugs before it gets too cool. Cooler weather means for fun for our family & I am looking forward to the adventures we plan to get ourselves into!

No comments: