September 6, 2012

Red Potato Salad with Bacon*

I post the occasional recipe on here, usually one that I have found somewhere else and attempted at home. But the truth is that I love to cook, and I love coming up with my own ways to cook things. My own meals. My own dishes. Most of the things that I come up with aren't that original, and I am sure there are various other recipes out there similar. But I love my time in the kitchen. My husband makes fun of me because even though I'm whipping food around our tiny kitchen and making a huge mess, it is oddly calming for me to cook. Baking? No thank you. But having the freedom to mix and match while trying to create something yummy -- I love it. With my website about to take a massive overhaul (did you notice the direct domain?? YAY!) one of my goals is to post more original recipes and meals on here.

So, why not start with something simple? Whenever any type of cookout happens with us or our friends, one of the number one requests I have is to bring my potato salad. This recipe started off as wanting a healthier, lighter version so I wouldn't feel so guilty about inhaling massive amounts of carbs. Don't get me wrong -- my mom's old fashioned potato salad is still one of my favorites. But the massive amounts of mayonaise (I'm pretty sure there is a whole jar involved) is enough to pack on 10 pounds just looking at him.

This is by no means "healthy" (did you see the word BACON in the title?) but it's not as heavy, either. It is quick and simple. And very, very good.


Potato Salad

Red Potato Salad with Bacon

Ingredients

  • 6 cups red-skinned potatoes -- cubed with the skin left on
  • 1/2 packaged of thick sliced bacon (about 5 or 6 strips)
  • 1 cup chopped bell pepper (I always use green but any color combination would work) 
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped scallions (about 3 stalks)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 heaping tablespoon of mayonaise
  • 1 heaping tablespoon of dijon mustard (I use horseradish mustard sometimes. Try it!)
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • Salt & Pepper

Directions
Place the red potatoes into a pot of cold water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, boiling for 8-10 minutes, until fork tender. Drain and set aside to cook.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy. When cooked, set aside on a paper towel to help soak up some of the grease. When cool to the touch, chop into small pieces.

In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, mayonaise and mustard with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.

In your serving bowl, gently mix the cooled potatoes, bacon, onion, bell peppers and scallions. Pour the dressing mixture over the potato salad, tossing gently (you don't want to break up the potatoes!) Cover and refridgerate for four hours or serve at room temperature.

No comments: