June 17, 2012

Days Like Today*

Today is Father's Day.

A day where we celebrate our awesome dads and the things they do for us. M and I are celebrating his first year as a father, and I can tell you that he is over the moon because of what we have in our life. It warms my heart to see him so happy, and to enjoy something that we struggled for so long with. It truly is an amazing feeling, one that I am happy to be a part of with him.

But why can I not be fully happy about today?

So many of my friends are still struggling to have what we are so blessed & lucky to have, and I can't help but feel sad for them. Especially on days like today.

I know that I am blessed with what we have, but sad for so many others. Happy that we can celebrate our first Father's Day [and, coincidently, the one year anniversary of our successful IUI. Irony at it's best.] but heartbroken for those who continue to have failed cycles. Lucky to be able to be a comforting ear and shoulder for some, but understanding for those who don't want me to be that person anymore, even if it saddens me because even though I understand the heartache, I can't help them in the way that they need.

But despite all the happiness that we have in our lives right now, it all comes back down to that cruel bitch, Infertility, and the destructive path that she lays on so many good people. It's not fair. Plain and simple. And despite what some people in my life might think, it's something that I think about constantly and definitely not something that you forget easily. I wish I could make it better and easier for all the good people I know struggling to be parents. ESPECIALLY on a day like today.

So for all the people out there still trying to be parents, please know that I am thinking of you and sending all the good vibes your way that I can. I may have started a new journey, but I have not forgotten the road I took to get here, or any of the pain that went along with it. Hugs to all of you. I know how rough days like today can be.

No comments: