February 20, 2011

Coconut Curry Chicken with Jasmine Rice*

Holy crap, let me tell you how fabulously delicious this meal is! I really think you should gather up all the ingredients and make it tonight.

Seriously.

I found this recipe, easy enough, on the jar of curry paste that I bought at the grocery store. It sounded good, and most of the ingredients were right there in front of me. So, I grabbed them all up and we had it for dinner on Saturday night. So. Good.


Ingredients
14 oz Coconut Milk
1/2 to 1 Tbsp Green Curry Paste, depending on taste preference
2 Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into bite size pieces
2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Bamboo Shoots, chopped
1/2 Cup Frozen Peas
1/3 Cup Chicken Stock
Jasmine Rice

*Side note: I found all of these recipes very easily in my grocery store. Aside from the easy things like the chicken stock and the frozen peas, they were all located in the asian section, next to the soy sauce!

Directions
1. Cook the Jasmine Rice to direction.

2. While the rice is cooking, in a large sauce pan or dutch oven, cook your chicken (which you've cut into bite size pieces!) until it's done. Set it aside.

3. In the same pan over medium high heat, whisk together the coconut milk and the curry paste and let simmer for five minutes.

4. Add the chicken, fish sauce, brown sugar, bamboo shoots, frozen peas and the chicken stock. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce will reduce and become slightly creamy.

5. Spoon the yummy mixture over a bowl of rice and enjoy! The rice will soak up the sauce making it extra, extra yummy.

So easy. And so delish. We had zero leftovers because M couldn't stop eating it.

There are other ways to dress this up as well. Throwing some water chestnuts in there would give it an extra little crunch that would go nicely with the softness of the rice. You could also garnish this with some fresh basil at the end. If you want to make it a completely vegetarian meal, use vegetarian stock [which is what I actually used] instead of chicken stock and fry up some extra firm tofu and throw it in at the very end [after the mixture had simmered for the ten minutes].

I plan on making this again this week, with the tofu.

All in all, this was an incredibly SIMPLE recipe, and took very little time. It takes as long as it does to cook the rice.

Make this tonight! And enjoy!

4 comments:

Becca M said...

That sounds delicious!!! I am totally making this. Let me know how it is with tofu :)

Brittany said...

I will! It was seriously so good. I could eat this every night!

Staci B said...

Yum! Going to have to try it :)

Brittany said...

It was so good, Staci!! You definitely must.