December 30, 2011

Crockpot Ham & Potato Soup*

Welcome! This post seems to be drawing in a lot of viewers from Pinterest and I am so grateful to have you here! Please make sure you follow along via google connect on the right hand side. Browse. Enjoy. And I hope to see you back :) 

A couple weeks ago, I had a craving for something hearty & yummy for my belly. I wasn't really in the mood to slave over the stove & we were going to a friends house that night, so I wanted to take something easy. I found this recipe and figured it sounded delish, as well as simple, so I might as well try it out.

It was just that. Incredibly easy and VERY yummy. Both husbands devoured it, the kiddo loved it and I may or may not have gone back for seconds as well. I did grate up some cheddar cheese to throw on top, but it was great without it. PLUS, it's a weight watchers recipe, so it only has 151 calories per serving. Making that second helping a little more guilt free. If you're looking for something quick and easy to throw into the crockpot, this Ham & Potato soup is a must for a cold winter night!

Ingredients:
7 c. diced potatoes (about 4 medium)
1 c. diced onion (about 1 medium)
1 large carrot, chopped
2 c. ham, diced
5 c. hot water
1 Knorr Chicken Bullion cube (extra large size that makes 1 quart broth or 4 small cubes that make 1 cup each)
1 c. 2% milk
1/2 c. sour cream
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
Add diced potatoes, onion, carrot, and ham to a crock pot. Dissolve chicken bullion in 5 cups hot water, then add this to the crock pot also. Cook on low 7 hours, or high 3 hours. Then add milk and sour cream. Stir and cook an additional 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes twelve 1-cup servings.If you'd like a thicker soup, just before adding milk and sour cream, remove 2-3 cups of the potatoes and slightly mash, then return the mashed mixture to the crock pot.

Makes 12 Servings (About 1 Cup Per Serving)

6 comments:

Heather said...

Looks really yummy. :) And nutritious.
I've just made some macaroni cheese - that is also something simple :)

Unknown said...

It looks delicious!!! Thank you and your husband for your service to our country!

Anonymous said...

looks good.....can you make it so we can post it on pinterest?

SMRT Ang said...

Super yum! I used Canadian back bacon instead of ham and it added a bit of a smoky flavour. No extra salt required, either :-) Had it in the crock over night and I'm tempted to have soup for breakfast. Cheers!

pickles4841 said...

I used chicken broth and it turned out a little bland. However I added cheddar/jack cheese and it turned out really good. I think next time I'll add corn and/or maybe broccoli and bacon on top! Thanks!

Unknown said...

I love this recipe! I've included it in a roundup of potato soup recipes on my blog honeyandbirch.com. :)