April 13, 2012

Three Weeks: Still Learning*

I had every intention of being one of those savvy bloggers who has the time to keep up with baby updates. The original plan was to do once a week for the first month, and then monthly after that. I have already missed the second week, so yay me! BUT, I am posting for week three. So, high five to me for that.


So! Three weeks! I have been peed on more times than I can count in the past three weeks! And Lucas' personality is starting to come through. He is, for the most part, a very easy baby. Aside from the usual fussiness that comes along with a three week old [I'm hungry. I need a new diaper. I'm tired.] is a very chill baby. He is smiling often [although I know at this point, we can thank the gas] and when he is really content, he has started to make some seriously adorable cooing noises. He hates tummy time, but his head movement is stellar for being only three weeks old, so we keep practicing. Aside from some rough times last week when Kim was here, thanks to some gassiness issues, he has been sleeping like a champ during the night, sleeping completely between feedings. Knock on wood.


Our big thing this week is to start working on some sort of routine. It's still difficult because of his sporadic schedule and the fact that we live in two to three hour increments, but we're slowly but surely getting there. We're also trying to get out of the house at least once a day, whether that's for a walk around the neighborhood, visiting some friends, or running errands. It's good for my sanity to get out [and, you know, get dressed in something other than sweats] and good for the little man to experience the world a bit.


He also is much more alert during the day, not instantly falling asleep after his bottle, which is great for some one on one mommy/Lucas time. Finding ways to stimulate a three week old while he's awake is difficult, but we sing songs, read books, and play. Again, seeing his personality start to come out has been so wonderful.

As for me, the post-partum healing continues. Aside from being sore the first couple of weeks, I was feeling pretty good about myself. I had lost all of my baby weight by the end of week one, and continued to drop another 10 pounds in week two [losing 28 pounds total in those two weeks. I only gained 18 pounds total during my pregnancy.]. I've hit a stand still for now [which is fine, I'm not concerned about the weight loss just yet]. Any sort of cardio is still a couple of weeks away, but I think I was so used to seeing myself pregnant for so long that I felt so great about myself in those first two weeks. But this week I've just felt saggy and flabby.


Either way, we are getting there. Being a mother is so very hard. But I am so grateful every single day for this opportunity. I love this little guy more than words can express and we are so blessed to have him in our lives. Plus, he doesn't care if I don't dry my hair or put on makeup. As long as he gets his mommy snuggles, this guy is happy.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Lovely pics. He is just gorgeous.

Liza B. Gonzalez said...

He's precious. Be kind & patient with your body and his developmen. Your body will get better everyday with a little effort and hold him as long as you can. A boy will wiggle out of your arms before you know it.

Tsoniki Crazy Bull said...

Babies are so adorable. I love the pic of you two together.