February 3, 2012

Pinterest Challenge: Week Five

Welcome to the Pinterest Challenge: Week Five! If you are new to this challenge [as I'm sure most people are!] then feel free to go here to check out the rules & all pertinent information. 

So, I am late again. I apologize! My days are getting away from me, and I'm failing big time on the blogging aspect! I really need to be better about scheduling posts. HOWEVER, better late than never. :) I hope you all had a wonderful week & made lots of great things. I am loving seeing everyone's goodies!

Prior to what I previously thought, I actually did have time to make something this week :) Yay me! My goodies come from Skinny Taste, which is probably my new favorite food recipe website. So many easy, delicious & HEALTHY recipes!

This week M & I tackled some Turkey Stuffed Peppers. They were, all in all, easy to make and pretty good. I will say that if I make them again, I will definitely up the seasoning. They weren't bland by any stretch of the imagination, but M & I both like a lot of kick & flavor to our foods, so I will most likely be experimenting with seasoning flavor the next go around [and there definitely will be a next go around!]

Photo from SkinnyTaste.com :)
Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb lean chopped turkey meat
  • 1 garlic, minced
  • 1/4 onion, minced
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • salt to taste
  • 3 large sweet red bell peppers, washed
  • 1 cup fat free chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
  • Olive oil spray
  • 1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheese

Heat oven to 400°. Spray a little olive oil spray in a medium size saute pan and heat on a medium flame. Add onion, garlic and cilantro to the pan. Saute about 2 minutes and add ground turkey. Season with salt and garlic powder, and cumin and brown meat for several minutes until meat is completely cooked through. Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth, mix well and simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Combine cooked rice and meat together.

Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds. Place in a baking dish. Spoon the meat mixture into each pepper half and fill it with as much as you can. Place all stuffed pepper halves on the baking dish and pour the remainder of the chicken broth on the bottom of the pan. Cover tight with aluminum foil and bake for about 35 minutes. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and enjoy. 


YUM! Seriously good, guys. I definitely recommend this recipe. Again, play with the seasoning, as there are a lot of options for this. But it was definitely good. We only ate one each, which left four for leftovers & they heat up great in the microwave. Two minutes each and they were good to go!

What have you done this week?


No comments: