August 7, 2010

Bedroom Progress

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I was starting the process of redoing our bedroom. When we first moved in together, we bought what we could, with what very little money we had. And we haven't really upgraded since then.

Earlier this year, we finally got around to painting the living room, and we are in the process of searching for new couches. This is something I am particularly happy about because I hate our black, leather couches. They definitely were not my choice, but were more or less a compromise -- he could get the couches if I could get the cherry sleigh bed for the bedroom.

Since then, we've upgraded our bed to a king sized mattress [how did we ever live without a king sized bed??], and in the last couple of weeks I've been planning for some other changes. Nothing major, but enough to change up the feel of the room.

We've picked out a paint color, and next weekend we will be tackling that project. We removed the mirror from our dresser, which makes the room look SO much bigger. They always say [they, being random designers on HGTV and DIT] that mirrors can make a room look bigger. But that mirror took up so much of the wall, that when we took it down, it was an instant change.

We also upgraded our huge ass box tv for a more sleek flat screen that is now sitting on top of the dresser. I'm on the lookout for some new night stands, a new mirror for the bathroom, new curtains and blinds and a few fun little nick nacks to spice it up a bit.

We are not replacing our dresser [although we may try to sand it down and repaint it or stain it black, as well as find some new hardware for it] or any of the other furniture, and I'm making my own headboard, which means that this should be a fairly cheap project, which I'm looking forward to. There are a lot of changes that I want to make to this house that will cost quite a bit more, so we're saving for that [like new floors in the kitchen and replacing the vanity in the hall bathroom].

Either way, for whatever reason a fire has been lit under my ass lately to make some changes to the house. I need a change, and I need something big -- so home improvement projects are the first on the list!

I'll keep you all updated as we progress, and I'll try to take some before & after photos throughout the process.

No comments: