February 6, 2012

Savannah*

Two weekends ago, M & I took off to Savannah, GA for the weekend. We had decided long ago that before baby came, we wanted to get away somewhere. Just the two of us. We had done plenty of traveling last year, but it was always back west to see family; not that we don't absolutely love those trips, but having some alone time before our lives were about to so drastically change was really important to us.

So off to Savannah we went! I had been before on a quick work trip [in a previous life] but M had never been. It was somewhere we always wanted to go together & experience. We needed some time to sort of reconnect with each other without the hustle and bustle of life & home & three crazy dogs & friends/family.  Just us. For a whole weekend.

We took off on a Friday night and made the four-ish hour drive south to Savannah. We stayed at this gorgeous old hotel, called The Marshall House. While the beds were not at SOFT as we were hoping for, it was a great, great experience. The hotel has been around for over 100 years, and has so much history to it. It was gorgeous and had so many great characteristics. We knew as soon as we walked in that we would enjoy it!

Since we got in a little late, we threw our stuff in our room and headed out for a quick walk. We ended up at a great little bar called Churchill's, where we had a couple of appetizers & some drinks [well, the non-alcoholic variety for me!]. After getting some food in our stomach, we headed down to the Riverwalk and strolled for a bit before heading back to the hotel & calling it a night.

Saturday morning we woke up, had breakfast & headed out! M was really interesting in all the amazing parks that Savannah is famous for, & I wanted to check out the graveyards. I have this totally odd fascination with graveyards [which, at least I can admit it is kind of weird and creepy!] but I love the history behind them. So M & I strolled and walked as much as we [I] could! I lasted a couple of hours but being eight months pregnant, doing a lot of walking can take a lot out of you! But we definitely got some good sight-seeing in while spending some great time together!

When my feet finally gave out & my belly told me no more, we hopped on a trolly and did a tour of the city via wheels! I was so happy to sit for an hour and a half, but was also happy to see parts of the city that I had never seen before.

After our tour, we found ourselves only a couple of blocks away from Paula Deen's restaurant. There was no line and we were able to get a late lunch time, which was AMAZING. We gorged ourselves on so much food [to the point where we both skipped dinner that night because we were still so stuffed!] and great desserts [um, Gooey Buttery Cake, anyone??!] It was totally worth going, and if you ever have a chance to go to Lady & Sons, do it! It is worth the weeks worth of calories in one meal. I promise you this! 

After a great nap [again ... eight months pregnant. I was beat!] we headed out again to walk the Riverwalk and people watch. Sunday morning was low key, consisting of sleeping in, a late breakfast and then hitting the road back home.The weather was amazingly perfect the whole weekend we were there, and it was so great to spend some time together without any distractions. M & I love to travel and have a long list of places to see so it was great to scratch one of those places off our list. We definitely plan on returning in the future! 

Because I'm me, I took a million photos, but these are some of my favorites. Seriously ... if you can go to Savannah, go! Such a lovely, lovely place. And, bring your sweetie if you can ;) I was so glad we got out of town for the weekend!










2 comments:

Tsoniki Crazy Bull said...

I fully admit to not missing very much about the south LOL but I do miss being able to walk and see SO much! I loved Charleston for that. The downtown was hands down the best of anywhere we ever lived. Being able to park and walk to so many things is awesome. I've never been to Savannah, but it looks beautiful!

Jenny D. said...

I have a fascination with cemeteries, too! Like you said, I think it's the history. We found a small cemetery here the other day and I can't wait to go back- talk about history!