February 1, 2014

Life

I'm sitting here at the hospital, feeling like since Max is sleeping & my mom is currently hogging him, I should take advantage of the time and do some updating. I have wanted to update the blog for a while -- I missed both the one week and two week updates for Max -- as I have a lot to say about bringing a second child home, helping the first adjust, breast feeding, and just life in general. 

But then things happened, as they always do. When Max was just 10 days old, we raced to the hospital late one night with Lucas, who had a nasty, nasty case of croup. It was bad. Like, the poor kid was struggling to breath & scared the shit out of us, and Lucas, bad. THANK GOODNESS my sister was here & she was able to stay at the house with Max. Taking him to a germy hospital was not ideal & I'm glad she was able to stay behind. 

Just a few days later, my husband got a phone call from his aunt. His father had passed away from a suspected heart attack earlier that morning & he flew out the next day. As I type this, he is still in Oregon, trying to take care of all the details -- he is the last surviving family member so the list is daunting and long, including cleaning out my FIL's house which could serve as it's own episode of a Hoarders. 

One week later, at seventeen days new -- just YESTERDAY -- Max was diagnosed with RSV. Which brings us here, having spent one night so far in the hospital already to be monitored & treated. 

When we found out about my FIL, my mom booked a ticket to come out to help. All the way from Germany, y'all. And I can honestly say I don't know what I would do without her. She has been a huge help as we managed the day to day, and has been here at the hospital with me helping with Max and trading sleep shifts. Words cannot express enough how grateful I am for another friend who took Lucas for the night -- no questions asked -- and is keeping him until we get out. Hopefully today. 

But man -- you guys. Post-partum is hard enough. My emotions & hormones are already all over the place as I figure out the balance of our new life & "come down" from pregnancy. Adding all of this? I feel one of two things is going to happen. I'm either going to glide through all of this like it was no big deal, or there is a very epic breakdown waiting to happen on the other side when I have two minutes to decompress and breath. I'm hoping for the gliding. REALLY hoping for the gliding. 

So there we have it. Life these days. It's been a rough start to our new chapter but if what they say is true and bad things come in threes, then we are done for a while. Fingers crossed, right? 

2 comments:

Esperanza said...

Jeez! What a horrific first few weeks. I'm so sorry you have been going through all this. How awful. I hope you do glide through the rest of it. After surviving this, you can survive anything.

Jen said...

I'm praying for peace in your life soon. You totally need it! ((hugs))